Monday, December 5, 2011

the best sweet potato casserole ever

Not that I'm bragging or anything.

But seriously, I have never made sweet potato anything before, but when discussions of what food everyone was bringing for Thanksgiving came up, I found myself agreeing to bring sweet potatoes and a dessert (though the dessert is another post).

I turned to pinterest (of course) for recipe inspiration, and pinterest did not disappoint. I went through many, many variations, before I settled on this recipe (pin here). I liked this recipe because it offered a marshmallow topping on half and a nut topping on the other half. I wasn't sure if everyone loved marshmallows as much as me, so I thought this would do the trick. Also, I liked that the nuts were cashews and not pecans, especially since my husband is allergic to pecans (and hello? cashews are delicious!)

The recipe calls for a food mill. I had never heard of a food mill before. Apparently, they come in handy with sweet potatoes because of their stringy nature. I turned to twitter (specifically my friend Katy) to find out what I could do instead. She suggested a food processor or a blender. I hadn't done that before either, but I figured it was worth a shot. (And I found out how easy it would have been to make my own baby food... tons of dollars down the drain there, folks. Seriously, try it!)

Anyway, I'm not a food blogger, so let's get straight to it. I didn't take any pictures during the process, and even forgot a finished product picture, so this half-way through lunch picture will have to do.


You can see which side was favored: marshmallows win!

But honestly, both sides were delicious! I'd definitely make this recipe again!

I wish I still had some leftovers...

4 comments:

  1. I love sweet potatoes, and just bought some yesterday, because they are .19cents a pound over at Marsh right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can vouch for how awesome these tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you blogging after NaBloPoMo is done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinterest saves the day again! ;-)

    When I make sweet potato casserole, I do the same thing...half marshmallows for the kids, half nuts for me and hubs (though I use walnuts instead of pecans, but I'll have to give cashews a try next time!)

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative