Tuesday, November 15, 2011

what's for dinner?

Punkin has always been a tough case when it comes to eating. I'm sure I screwed something up in the timeline of introducing him to various foods, but he is a very picky eater. He has had an aversion to many textures for as long as I can remember. We never made it to stage 3 baby food, because they were no longer the finely pureed mush of stage 1 and stage 2. Anything with chunks? Forget about it.

Even at age 5, his aversion continues. I know a lot of people would think I'm silly or just plain ridiculous, but I honestly believe he is afraid of many foods/textures. Getting him to try something new is a major feat. I don't think you would believe me unless you saw it for yourself.

Here is a list of foods a "typical kid" loves, but Punkin will not consider eating for even a second. In fact, if they are on his plate, you can see his demeanor change and his body recoil at the sight. 
  • Pizza
  • Hamburger
  • Cheese
  • Mac & Cheese
  • Plain Noodles
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Deli Meat of any variety
  • Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich
The list used to be much longer, so I can say, thankfully, that he has made some progress.

Some foods that he now does eat that he used to turn down:
  • Fruit of any kind
  • Ketchup
  • Carrots (raw only)
  • Honey
  • Bread (plain) and only if there's nothing else that he likes to eat
I try not to get too worked up about it. I'm hopeful that at some point, he will start to be a little more adventurous and he'll eventually add some more variety to his diet. I figure it's not going to do anyone any good if every meal is a battle. 

So in the meantime, who wants some chicken nuggets and french fries? I know Punkin does!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative