Monday, November 21, 2011

on high alert

Words you are never quite prepared to hear from your five-year old:

"Mama, do you know what a lock down drill is?"

I had read tweets about schools doing these drills a couple of weeks back, but it never crossed my mind that Punkin would be participating in them at preschool too.

It's a fine line to dance with - wanting your child to be smart and prepared if he ever found himself in a dangerous situation but also wanting to protect his innocence and not live in fear of the what ifs.

I'm glad his school did the drill, and apparently with a certain level of ease rather than alarm, as it was at least three days before Punkin even mentioned it. I'm also glad that when I told him that these drills are so we're prepared "just in case" and not something that we need to worry about every day that it's true and he believed me.

(I really don't want one more excuse for a middle of the night wake-up!)



1 comment:

  1. Wow, I had no idea schools were doing that now, but I guess that's a good thing. It always strikes me, the things that freak us out as parents, are so often taken in stride by our children, know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative